"The writer who possesses the creative gift owns something of which he is not always master- something that at times strangely wills and works for itself."
Charlotte Bronte

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Mind Muser - by Aidan (Mr.Popper's Penguins)

AIDAN                           LITERATURE CIRCLE - MIND MUSER                       2014.05.16
‘Twas very quiet in the Barbershop. The barber was cutting my mop-like hair. A penguin standing next to a strange looking man found this very interesting, leaping onto the countertop, accidently knocking down the scissors.
“Well then, what do we have here” I said, seeing the strange spectacle of a penguin jumping up and down ecstatically in front of my face; in still water, one of the most boring towns around of all places!
“Oh, pardon me, sorry, so sorry, this is my penguin Captain Cook,” a tall man, who strangely resembled a toothpick dressed in black and white, said to me and the quite red faced barber.
“And you are?” I asked the strange man, “since I most definitely have not seen you at any point around Stillwater. I then pointed out to myself that he actually resembled the penguin he was accompanying.
“Oh...where are my manners, young man. My name is Mr. Popper,” he replied to my question.
“The painter?” I said, “is this the regular routine for a painter.” For a painter, he was doing something rather...eccentric.
“Yes, yes I am a painter. If you are wondering, this is not what I usually do. I actually love the south and north poles, and then this man named Admiral Drake decided to send me a penguin, which is rather strange...do you find that strange, I -” he replied.
“OK! I get it!” I said, averting a obvious, boring 2 hour ramble about everything that had happened to him in the last week. Mr. Poppers eyes widened slightly, and shook his head, making that self-correction ‘tut, tut’ noise, and said,
“sorry for that.” He walked up to the barber, and started talking to him as the penguin jumped onto my lap. He weighed more than I expected, and it didn’t help that he seemed to be doing some sort of tap-dance on my lap. He had sleek black feathers, and a big stomach covered in snow-white downy-feathers.


As the penguin started dancing around the barbershop, I heard the barber starting to get annoyed, saying to Mr. Popper:
“can you please remove that dang bird out of here? He’s messing up my shop!” He sounded angry with the cute, innocent penguin.
“Sorry, I’ll leave now,” said Mr. Popper, “but can I take Captain Cook out through the back of the shop? People seem to be giving me some odd stares.”
“Sure thing, Mr. Popper,” said the barber, obviously pleased that he got his way with Mr. Popper and his penguins.


So, as I stared in astonishment, Mr. Popper took Captain Cook in his arms, and amid cries of “Quork?” “Gawk!” and Ork!” made his way out of the shop and its back room and out a door into an alley.
"See you later, Mr. Popper!” I said, waving goodbye to the odd man and his strange, waddling friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment