"The writer who possesses the creative gift owns something of which he is not always master- something that at times strangely wills and works for itself."
Charlotte Bronte

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Katherine's Mind Muser (Yesterday's Dead by Pat Bourke)

    I was up and eating breakfast when Meredith came down from sleeping. A little late, in my opinion.
   "So, how long have you been here?" Meredith asked.
   "A few years," I reply.
   "You're new girl, right?"
   "Yes."
   "Why did you come to work?" I inquired.
   "Well, Mama and Ellen are at home in Port Stuart. My father left, and joined the army. He didn't survive."
   "Oh, I am so sorry," I said sympathetically.
   "It's okay, I guess. We need more money, and then this opportunity came, so, here I am."
   "My family is also in need of money. My dad is in the war, too. He's injured. My mother is greatly sad and worried about him, and so isn't in the right mindset to be working. I am the oldest, so I thought it should be me who was working," I explained.
   "I'm a little worried about the Spanish Flu," said Meredith.
   "Yeah," I said.
   "It is scary to think that so many are getting sick. I just hope it doesn't spread to around here, or by home. I couldn't bear having anything happen to my family."
   “I would be absolutely devastated if it hurt my mother or sister. They are my family. What would I do without them?” questioned Meredith.
   At that moment, Parker came into the kitchen.
   “You girls weren't hired to sit and have a nice chat. Now get to work. The doctor and children are expecting their breakfast.”
  And with that, Meredith and I cleared away our few dishes and got up to help prepare the food with Mrs. Butters.
Just so you know, this isn't taken directly from my book. I just used the characters in a possible scene.

1 comment: