"The writer who possesses the creative gift owns something of which he is not always master- something that at times strangely wills and works for itself."
Charlotte Bronte

Thursday, May 16, 2013

HOLES - By Aidan

AIDA         HOLES BY LOUIS SACHAR       2013.05.15
       I was just sent to ‘Camp Green Lake,’ don’t ask me why. I was minding my own business, when a cop car pulled over beside me and told me to get in. So, naturally, I came with him. Next thing I knew, I was on this un-airconditioned bus, heading to this place called Camp Green Lake. Well, I can tell you, there’s no lake.
     
      So, after about 8 or 9 hours of sweltering heat on the bus, we finally pulled in onto a dry (like everything else) sunken-in piece of land. Guess that’s where the lake used to be. So, I got out of the bus. I was led to a building that looked like it had been sunbathed for the last 40 years, and was nudged inside.
Inside the building, there was a man sitting on a chair, eating sunflower seeds. He had the smell of tobacco on him, like he had just quit smoking.
    "This ain’t Girl Scouts, boy," said the man.
"Who are you?" I said.
The man got up from his chair and said, "I’m Mr. Sir. As I said before, this ain’t Girl Scouts."
"Okaaay..." I said, sarcastically. "Don’t you DARE talk to me that way, you brat, or I’ll punch your lights out!" Mr. Sir bellowed at me. He raised his fist, I flinched. "Wimp," Mr. Sir said.

     Mr. Sir pushed me outside, into the hot sun, AGAIN, and I was led to a building. I was told that I would be assigned to a group. I was assigned to    group D. I was led to another, smaller building, which was supposed to be  group D. I entered the building and was greeted with a couple of kids, maybe 6 or 7. One had glasses, a couple were tall, there was a dark-skinned boy who was very small and thin. They all were dressed in orange jail-ish
uniforms.

     "Hi," said one of the boys. "I’m Stanley Yelnats" the boy said.
"So, why are you here?" asked another kid, who was wearing mud-coated glasses, that I guess hadn’t been cleaned in the last 50 years.
"Well," I replied, "I don’t really know. I was picked up by some truck. They brought me to this bus, and made me get on. They told me I was going to ‘Camp Green Lake’. This is, I take it, Camp Green Lake."
"Yep," said the boy with the glasses.
"I wonder why this kid got sent here if he didn’t do anything," said another boy.
"Yeah, you go think on that, X-Ray," said Stanley.
"Oh, by the way, my name is Aidan," I said.

     I was told that I would be digging holes 5 deep and wide in any direction. I was also given a pair of the orange clothing everyone else was wearing. I was also told that I would have a free day today, to wait. I was starting to snore from boredom, because I had been just laying in a cot for the last 5 or 6 hours, when Mr. Sir burst into the building.

      "Hey, Girl Scout! Looks like you’re free to go!" he said. "What? How!?" I said, startled! "Turns out you are innocent. There was a spree of small corner-store robberies, and the description of the criminal matched you. He was just found in his home, down in Oakville. We found him with over $2000, a pile of candy, and 10 lottery tickets," Mr. Sir said.
"Where any of the tickets winners?" I asked sarcastically.
"Sadly no. But, if you’ll just come with me, you’ll be back home in the next 9 or 10 hours, give or take a few centuries," he said.
After a quick goodbye to the kids at Group D, getting back on the bus, and a 10 hour drive, I was finally back home.

     "Aidan!" cried Mom. "You’re back!" she added.
"Amazing observation, Mom..." I said. Dad was at work, he didn’t even know that I was back. What a surprise he got when he got home!
I was treated to a beautiful dinner, CORN DOGS and Coke. I was so happy that I was back home...
 THE END ? ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment